What is crunchy and low carb, and perfect for pairing with your favorite guacamole or salsa? Why my keto tortilla chips, of course! These chips taste just as good as store-bought and even look a lot like them, but with fewer carbs and zero guilt with every crunch.
Salty and Crispy that Goes a Long and Healthy Way
At some point in our lives, we’ve all mindlessly snacked in order to satisfy a salt craving. In those instances, we often get our hands on whatever’s cheap and available. Usually, this means chips loaded with artificial flavors, inflammatory vegetable oil, processed sugars and other bad stuff.
But whether you’re new to keto or have been at it for some time, there are days when you just feel like snacking on something salty and crispy. The good news is that this keto tortilla chips recipe will satisfy that craving!
Your Go-To Healthy Tortilla Chips
No doubt, tortilla chips are a favourite snack food of many. They are tasty, easy to serve and versatile! Whether you are serving them during sporting events, while watching movies, or enjoying house parties or simple gatherings, they are definitely one of those snacks that go so well with any kind of dip.
If you are sitting around daydreaming of golden, homemade tortilla chips, my combo of keto-friendly ingredients and an easy-to-follow method is the way to go!
Snacking Without the Guilt
Gone are the days of feeling guilty after demolishing a bowl of store-bought tortilla chips. Who thought that something considered “junk food” in the grand scheme of snacking can be so healthy and nourishing!
Tortilla chips are traditionally made from corn. The kernels are ground into flour, formed into a dough by mixing in salt and water, and then shaped into disks and flattened down before being baked. They are then cut into that classic wedge shape and deep-fried.
This keto-friendly tortilla chips recipe means you never have to miss out again during game night at home just because you’re on a specific diet like keto.
Some Useful Tips
- The hemp hearts add some texture and a “corn chip” look to the chips.
- Do not use fresh mozzarella or pre-shredded. The block stuff is what you want to use here.
Keto Tortilla Chips
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp hemp hearts
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- sea salt for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 F (177 C).
- Combine the almond flour, hemp hearts, salt and chili powder in the bowl of a food processor and pulse to combine. Place the mozzarella cheese in a small bowl and microwave until just melted, about 30 seconds. Pour the melted cheese into the almond flour and add the egg. Pulse until well combined and the dough pulls from the sides of the bowl into a ball. Remove the dough from the bowl, divide in half and form into two discs. The dough will be a little sticky but should be easy to handle and come together smoothly.
- Place one of the discs between two pieces of parchment and roll out thinly with a rolling pin. The dough should be about 1/16-inch (2 mm) thick. Cut into triangles and transfer to a parchment-lined sheet pan. You do not want the chips to touch. Repeat with the other dough disc.
- Sprinkle the chips lightly with sea salt and bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden and crisp. The baking time will vary depending on the thickness of your dough. Let the chips cool completely on the pan. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
Need A Keto Shopping List?
Check out my keto foods list with free printable pdf and flavour pairings guide.
Do You Know Your Macros?
Check out my free personalised macro calculator